Joyful

My name is Joy --and this blog will be all about the simple joys in my life - my family, my friends, my business, but most of all --my 2 little girls!

Joy...It's all in the name!

I grew up in a suburb right outside of Chicago - Berwyn, IL. I believe where I grew up shaped who I am today - we were a close knit community where family values were important. I attended college in Waukesha, Wisconsin - Carroll College. There, I majored in Communication and minored in Art. It is at Carroll that I truly flourished...I was very active in my sorority (Chi Omega) and began taking classes in electronic imaging - this is where my love of graphic design began! Senior year I met my husband (also a Carroll grad) and there you have it... My past work experience is quite broad - I've worked in Radio promotions, HR, and Higher Education. The past few years I've enjoyed creating photocards for different events. This passion has grown more into other avenues: creating stationery, invitations, and other ventures --- and that's where I get to share with you my love of all things creative - SIMPLE JOYS by JOY! Thank you for taking the time to get to know me! I am eager to create or become a part of your life event by making it just a little sweeter - a little more thoughtful and most of all memorable.

My 2 Favorites

Easily my favorite 2 Simple Joys - my daughters. Meet Mackenzie *Kenzie* Elisabeth (4) and Alexa *Allie* Delaney (2)...they are my life, my love, my greatest creation to date!

Weddings, Birthdays, Etc.

Below you'll see a sampling of some of my work...weddings, birthdays, babies... I Love being a part of people's life events - adding a hint of creativity to the mix!

A couple of assistants!

Simple Joys - the business could not possibly function without the help of two fab and fancy assistants...Meet Rachel and Samantha!
I've had the pleasure of knowing Rachel and Samantha for some time now...while working in higher education, they were a few of my student workers....from there, I recruited them to babysit for my kids. In a matter of time, Rachel and Sam have become permanent fixtures in my home--my girls ADORE THEM - and frankly, they make my life a lot simpler than it could possibly be. Both seniors and ready to graduate college, I am hopeful we'll keep them on as part-time Simple Joys by Joy assistants! They cut, glue, stuff, wrap, sell....they are my front line and I don't know what I'd do without them! And...if you thought the Argyle sweaters were coincidence and matching red/black outfits- HECK no! They are that precise and adorable and planned to dress alike at an Open House Event!

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Holi-daze.

The holidays are supposed to be filled with family, memories, gathering, gifts, and good times. I have two adorable girls who are perfectly aged for the magic of the season -- 4 and 2. They squeal each time a santa commercial plays on TV, and for an entire month I am able to negotiate good behavior by warning a quick phone call to the north pole to place a few lil' girls on the naughty list.

We listen to Christmas carols, made the cut out sugar cookies and tonight, shared in the tradition of Christmas Eve. Only, this year was a lonely Christmas Eve. We were missing a big part of what I used to know as Christmas spirit in my dad. This year, I've gotten through a lot of "firsts" - 'firsts without dad'....and I want to believe I've done it with strength and courage in the belief that he's in a better place.

But in addition to losing my dad, my family has fractured into something I really can't put into words. It breaks my heart, but as a parent, my sole responsibility is to keep my kids safe and make decisions within their best interest. Tonight was a small gathering - just the hubby, my kiddos, my brother and his girlfriend. You'll note one other important person absent in tonight's celebration. My mom.

Tomorrow we go to the Hubby's family....it's a long day to travel a long way --- when what I would really like to do is sleep and have time to reflect on how I am really feeling about things. In having young kids and responsibilities, I never really have sat back to reflect on how I really feel. The holidays should be filled with family, love, togetherness and a time of joy. If that is true, why do I feel so sad and lonely this time of year? Maybe it's a 'bye' year....and all will be back to normal next year.

I am looking forward to seeing the kids' faces Christmas morning, nothing can take that 'joy' away.......but I wish, for a small moment I could remember what it felt like to feel whole again. Losing a parent takes a way a piece of you - a piece that you don't realize you have until they are gone and you ache deep inside. The holidays and family times only magnifies the pain and sadness. I really thought I had made peace with knowing this was our first Christmas without him, and I was ok with it.......when out of no where I've welled up with tears in my eyes on more than one occasion this week.

While I hear the Merry Christmases --- I think to myself --- what's so Merry about it? And then I remember what is most important....my two lil' angels sent directly to me. Without them, my world really would be empty. They are the greatest joys in my life.......and while it's my first Christmas without my dad ---it's the first Christmas my children will really begin to remember the memories we create as a family and a time they will believe in the magic. I want to be present, and be a part of the memories they will create and make for years to come.

For me, I remember a great loss, for my kids....they will remember a dream come true on a Christmas morning from being "nice" all season long - for - after all of the threats this month, I never did have to make the naughty call to the north pole!

No comments:

Post a Comment